IT - Telecom - Electronic
IT in Brittany: known across the world
Brittany is currently the number 2 area in France for Communication and Technology. This know-how didn’t appear overnight. In 1962 the first satellite broadcast was made in Brittany. Then in 1970, PBX digital technology was developed in the region,then the MP3 was developed here in 1995 by the Fraunhofer and Thomson Institute, and in 2006 HD Wireless was produced and broadcast in the region. This reputation in the IT sector was boosted further in 2005 by a new world class Images and Networks innovation cluster.
On a national scale, Brittany is the number 2 region for R&D in TELECOMMUNICATIONS and number 5 for ELECTRONICS.
Broadcasting / multimedia
RFID (Radio Frequency Identification)
Precision, imaging, measuring
With regards to employment and research, IT - Telecom - Electronic is a very dynamic sector in Brittany:
- 35% of public research is localised.
- Over 3,500 researchers of the highest level.
- 650 specialist companies, 56 dedicated laboratories within 4 universities and elite schools, representing 42,000 jobs, 15,000 of which are in research.
- Prestigious ‘écoles supérieures’: Telecom Bretagne, ENSSAT, INSA, ENIB, SUPELEC, ENS Cachan, ESAT, ISEN
- Brittany has one of the highest levels in France for general education, notably in science
- Brittany is ranked 2nd for engineering and telecommunications courses and 3rd for courses in the wider domain of electronics, IT and communications studies.