Vehicules / Movements
The arrival of Citroën in the Rennes area in the 1960’s led to the boom in the automotive industry in Bretagne around a large network of manufacturers and sub contractors. The automotive sector in Bretagne sets itself apart through its experience and its know how in the specific and dedicated vehicles sector; it has built up experience and skills in batch production and output throughout the value chain: Design, industrialisation, tools, manufacturing, logistics and marketing…
The Janais site currently produces all of PSA’s mid/top range vehicles.
Intelligent transport and embedded systems:
High tech and prototype equipment
Here are a few company names for each sector:
- Intelligent transport and embedded systems: C2 Innovativ’ Systems, DIXID, ECA Faros, Estar, Geensys, Groupe Lacroix, Kerlink, Kereval, IETR, Lead Tech Design, Newscape Technologies and Satimo…
- Automotive industry: Barre Thomas, Bretagne Ateliers, Clemessy, Cooper-Standard, DelphiEffitech, Faurecia, Legris Autoline, Loupot, MCI, OET, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Sanden, SBFM, SPPP and Visteon…
- Special vehicles: 2MB International, Autostar, BA Systems, Centigone, Gruau and Maurice Construction…
- Battery manufacturing: Bolloré
Innovation and Intermodality
Bretagne plays a pioneering role in promoting new travel concepts through a vast network of transport facilities in the region. Rennes is a testing ground for new behaviours.
- Metro system with the opening of its metro line in 2002, Rennes has become the smallest town in Europe to have a metro system. A second line is being planned.
- Cycling: Rennes is a ground breaking town in terms of cycling after it created Velo Star in 1998, a public cycle sharing system. A second batch of 200 cycles were added to the scheme in 2009.
- Car sharing service: Car sharing operator Roulezmalin - winners of the ITS (Intelligent Transport Systems) prize in 2008 in the ”intelligent mobility” category.
- Car Sharing: City Roul’ – also a winner of the ITS prize in 2008, has developed, alongside its partners Kerlink and 6TM, innovative technological car sharing solutions.
- Intermodality: The KooriGo card is a card used in Rennes and the Ille-et-Vilaine department for all modes of transport.(trains, buses, metro, Car Sharing, cycles). Soon, the whole of Bretagne will be able to use this innovative card, to encourage intermodality.
Higher education and research centres: ENSIETA (National Engineering Academy), ISTA (Automotive Technology Academy), ECAM Rennes (Engineering School), Maupertuis Institute (Technological and industrial R&D centre), OPASE (platform for embedded systems in cars), UBO (University of Western Bretagne), UBS (University of Southern Bretagne)