Source : Bretagne Développement Innovation
What Bretagne brings you
A complete ecosystem
The 250 Bretagne players focused on renewable hydrogen cover the entire hydrogen value chain : stationary H2 production facility (electrolyser, biomass production system, co-produced hydrogen recovery system), conversion, transport, distribution, storage, fuel cells for mobility, stationary fuel cell installation, hydrogen refuelling station and support services from R&D to recycling via operation and maintenance.
Potential for renewable energies
Bretagne is relying on using its renewable energies to develop its green hydrogen production :
Innovation paths given priority
Bretagne gives priority to several innovation paths in its road map for the deployment of renewable hydrogen by 2030 (French).
- Offshore hydrogen
- Biomass thermolysis and pyrogasification
- Biological hydrogen from wastewater
- Promoting co-products from hydrogen production
Bretagne Développement innovation (BDI) structures the hydrogen sector and coordinates all regional players. ERH2 Bretagne is the regional skills hub in renewable energies, hydrogen, fuel cells and smart electric grids. At their side, competitiveness hubs and clusters support companies in their innovative projects and encourage collaborative projects, depending on their application market.
Opportunities : ports
As the leading French maritime economy, the port infrastructures are conducive to deploying hydrogen to meet the energy needs of industrial activities on site and to supply ships. Pôle Mer Bretagne Atlantique and Bretagne Pôle Naval support companies in their innovations and encourage collaborative projects. To assert its position in port applications, Bretagne is involved in a European cooperation project on the conversion of “H2 port hubs” and their user environment.
Opportunities : maritime industry
Defence, fishing, research and passenger ships, cargo ships, pleasure boating and high-tech sailing, Bretagne has a powerful maritime industry focused on innovation and eco-design. The sector is looking into hydrogen to create clean boats. Eurolarge Innovation and Pôle Mer Bretagne Atlantique support companies in their innovations, mainly when linked to eco-design and eco-performance. They encourage collaborative projects : hydrogen-fuelled boats for a variety of uses (Energy Observer, Hylias, ERSEO barge), energy recovery coastal protection breakwater (DIKWE).
Opportunities : transport
Food product logistics are a priority for the leading French agri-food region. As is clean transport of goods and people. Bretagne Supply chain, a cluster dedicated to transport, logistics and the supply chain, encourages innovative collaborative projects for the energy transition. Local loops are in place. They are aiming to produce green hydrogen from renewable energies, recycle wastewater or co-products from livestock farms to set up an ecosystem of clean mobilities and for industrial uses: Hygo, H2 360°, hydrogen demonstrator, Greenpig.
Opportunities : smartgrids and storage
Winner of a national call for tenders on smart electric grids, Bretagne is the pioneering region for smartgrids. The SMILE collaborative experimentation programme has been rolling out smartgrids on a large scale since 2016. From the perspective of hydrogen production, smartgrid and storage applications are crucial when adapting energy production from renewable sources to consumption. Bretagne Ocean Power supports marine energy projects. Replicable project for the massive storage of electricity from renewable sources in isolated areas: Molène H2 Storage.
Our talents :
Training, research, innovation
- Training courses covering the entire value chain and all applications: Campus E.S.P.R.I.T. Industries (supply chain, smart mobility), Ecole Nationale Supérieure Maritime (maritime engineering), Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Chimie de Rennes (environment, energy), Ecole des Métiers de l’Environnement (EME), universities.
- Multiple R&D centres: Institut de Recherche Dupuy de Lôme (IRDL), laboratoire SATIE, IETR with its MATRIX technical platform, Institut de Physique de Rennes, Institut des sciences chimiques de Rennes (ISCR), Institut foton, Laboratoire Chimie Electrochimie Moléculaires et Chimie Analytique (CEMCA), MobBI technical platform.
- Innovation players incorporating the hydrogen sector: BDI, ERH2 Bretagne, Pôle Mer Bretagne Atlantique, Bretagne Supply chain, France Energies Marines, Bretagne Ocean Power, development accelerator Créativ, Id4car, EMC2.
Let's organize your visit in Bretagne
Are you looking to invest in Bretagne? We prepare a customised programme of visits for you in line with your wishes and needs.My meeting program
You wish to make contact with a company that could become an industrial or technological partner or a supplier? We help you make contact with Bretagne companies.Contact a company